Apr 20, 2012

Beef and Bean Taco Casserole

I stumbled across this recipe a few months ago and unfortunately I don't remember where I found it. However, it is a favorite in this house, especially after I made a few changes to it to fit my mexican style cooking. hehe...Ya know, I'm not even sure I know what that means. Any who! Here is this fantastic recipe!

Prepare Time: 20 mins
Cooking Time: 25 mins
Serving Size: 5


Ingredients

  • 1 lb ground beef
  • 1 can refried beans - fat free
  • 16 oz. Salsa
  • 1 pkg. taco seasoning
  • 2 1/2 cups tortilla chips, coarsely broken
  • 1 green bell pepper, diced
  • 1 red bell pepper, diced
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
  • 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1 cup shredded lettuce
  • Sour cream (optional)
Method
  • Heat oven to 350 degrees F. in 12-inch skillet, cook beef over medium-high heat 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Half way through browning add onions and the red and green peppers. Continue cooking until all meat is cooked thoroughly and onions are clear; drain. Stir in refried beans, salsa and taco seasoning mix. Reduce heat to medium. Heat to boiling, stirring occasionally.
  • In ungreased 3-quart casserole, place 2 cups of the broken tortilla chips. top evenly with beef mixture. Sprinkle with the tomato and add the cheese.
  • Bake uncovered 20 to 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly and cheese is melted. top baked casserole with lettuce and remaining tortilla chips.
Because I do suffer from heart burn occasionally due to my love of all things spicy and mexican, I usually add a dab of sour cream to the top of my casserole after I dish it to my plate.

Enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment